1. Explain the basic natural systems, cycles, and changes over
time and how they are evidenced in a watershed near where you live. Include the four basic
elements, land use patterns, and at least six different species in your analysis and how
they have changed over time. Discuss both biological and physical components.
2. Describe at least four environmental study areas near where you live. Include
the reasons for selecting these areas, their boundaries, user groups, past inventories,
any outside forces that interact with them, and a list of what things could be studied at
each of them.
3. Plan a field trip to each of the above areas, including detailed plans
for conducting various investigations. Follow all of the requirements such as trip
permits, safety plans, transportation plans, equipment needs, etc.
4. (a) Under the guidance of a natural resources
professional, carry out an investigation of an ecological subject approved by your
Advisor. Inventory and map the area. Conduct a detailed investigation providing specific
data for a specific topic.
(b) Document and present your findings to your crew, another crew, a
Cub or Boy Scout group, or another group.
5. Teach others in your crew, another crew, a Cub or Boy Scout group, or
another group how to carry out an ecological investigation. Use steps 3 and 4 above with
the group so that they may also learn by doing.
- Boy Scout Fieldbook, No. 33200
- Venturing Leader Manual, No. 34655
- Conrad, Michael, Adaptability: The Significance of Variability From Molecule to Ecosystem, Plenum Publishing Corporation, 1983 Buy the Book Today!
- Denny, Mark W., Air and Water; The Biology and Physics of Life's Media, Princeton University Press, 1993 Buy the Book Today!
- Marsh, William M. and John Grossa, Environmental Geography: Science, Land Use, and Earth Systems, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1995 Buy the Book Today!
- Newman, Edward I., Applied Ecology, Blackwell, 1993 Buy the Book Today!
- Skinner, Brian J. and Stephen C. Porter, The Blue Planet. An Introduction to Earth System Science, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1994 Buy the Book Today!
- Thompson, Earth Science and the Environment, Harcourt Brace College Publishers, 1992 Buy the Book Today!
This page has been accessed $pagecount";
times, since August 4th, 1998