1. Make an appointment with your doctor 'N/for a
complete physical. Explain to your doctor you are preparing to undertake an eight-week
physical fitness improvement program.
2. Explain at least six principles that guide you in developing a physical
3. Four components of physical fitness are endurance, strength,
flexibility, and body composition.
(a) Explain why these components arc important to your physical
(b) Find a physical fitness professional to administer a fitness test based on these
four components. Set physical fitness goals with the help of this professional that can be
accomplished in eight weeks. The physical education teachers at school should be able to
do this test.
4. Develop an eight-week program to accomplish your goals. Use the
principles of warm-up, cross-training, cool-down, and regularity.
5. Explain the six elements of a good diet.
6. Using the USDA Food Guide Pyramid, list six foods from each group.
7. Learn to calculate the number of calories you need if you are sedentary,
moderately active, or active.
8. Explain the common eating disorders anorexia and bulimia and why they are
harmful to athletes.
9. Explain the hazards of performance-enhancing drugs, including the
dangers of using each of the following groups of drugs: stimulants, painkillers, anabolic
steroids, beta blockers, diuretics, alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine.
10. Prevention of injury is important to achieving peak physical performance.
Pain is not a normal part of physical development. Soreness and discomfort may be
expected, but not pain. Explain how to prevent injury in your fitness program.
11. Using what you have learned about physical fitness, teach your crew, a
Cub or Boy Scout group, or another group about setting up a physical fitness program.
- Passport to High Ad369unixmentor-20, No. 4310
- Kalish, Susan, Your Child's Fitness: Practical Advice for Parents, Human Kinetics, 1996 Buy the Book Today!
- Safrit, Margaret, Complete Guide to Youth Fitness Testing, Human Kinetics, 1995 Buy the Book Today!
This page has been accessed $pagecount";
times, since August 4th, 1998