1. (a) Explain the BSA Safety Afloat plan.
(b) Demonstrate during a watercraft activity that you know the BSA
Safety Afloat plan.
2. Complete a basic boating safety course provided by the U.S. Coast Guard
Auxiliary, U.S. Power Squadrons, US Sailing, American
Red Cross, or your state's boating law administrator.
3. (a) Learn and demonstrate water rescue techniques, including self
rescue, group rescue, boat assisted rescue, short-line rescue, boat-over-boat rescue, and
rescuing a pinned craft.
(b) Learn and demonstrate that you know the rules for avoiding water-caused hypothermia
and what to do in case of hypothermia.
4. Make a presentation to your crew, another crew, a Cub or Boy Scout
group, or another youth group on boating safety.
Do 5, 6, or 7.
5. (a) Learn the American Whitewater Affiliation Safety Code.
(b) Demonstrate during a watercraft activity that you know the American
Whitewater Affiliation Safety Code.
(c) Learn about the International Scale of River Difficulty.
(d) Learn and be able to describe the six classifications of rivers.
(e) On a whitewater river map of your choice, be able to show why different
sections are classified the way they are.
(f) Learn and explain the differences in recreational canoes, touring
canoes, downriver canoes, whitewater playboat canoes, decked canoes, recreational kayaks,
touring kayaks, and whitewater playboat kayaks.
(g) Learn and use paddling techniques and maneuvers for
* Canoe, both single and double passenger
* Kayak, single or double passenger
(h) Paddle a slow river a distance of at least eight miles or run a
whitewater river a distance of six miles with at least one class III rapid.
6. (a) Learn and demonstrate the BSA rules for boardsailing.
(b) Learn how to boardsail.
7. Become certified as a US Sailing Small Boat Sailor or US Sailing
- Boy Scout Fieldbook, No. 33200
- Passport to High Ad369unixmentor-20, No. 4310
- Venturing Leader Manual, No. 34655
- Foster, Nigel, Canoeing.- A Beginner's Guide to the Kayak, State Mutual Book & Periodic Service, Ltd., 1990 Buy the Book Today!
- George, M. B., Basic Sailing, William Morrow & Co., 1984 Buy the Book Today!
- Murrant, Jim, The Boating Bible: An Essential Handbook for Every Sailor, Sheridan House, Inc., 1991 Buy the Book Today!
- Nealy, William, Kayak: The Animated Manual of Intermediate and Advanced Whitewater Technique, Menasha Ridge Press, 1997 Buy the Book Today!
- Roberts, Harry N. and Thomas Todd, The Basic Essentials of Canoe Paddling, ICS Books, 1992 Buy the Book Today!
- Wand-Tetley, Charles and John Heath, Boardsailing. A Beginners Manual, State Mutual Book & Periodic Service, Ltd., 1994 Buy the Book Today!
This site has had 127073019 visitors. |
This site has served 36135124925 pages.
This page has been accessed 415
Copyright © 1994 - 2017 F.C.L.A.
Scouts Helping Scouts
Columbus, Ohio USA
times, since August 4th, 1998