Scouting Sites Only!
All others will be ignored.
Scouting The Web Award |
Due to Federal Laws of the USA,
Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA),
no application will be accepted from anyone under the age of 14
without permission and participation of the applicants Parent or
While Scouting The Web Award (or 369) does not require or
verify the age of site owners, anyone under the age of
14 is ineligible to submit a site for The Scouting The Web Award.
(A Site will be removed if it is determined the owner is under 14.)
- Mission Statement
- S.T.W.A. Beliefs
- Who may receive the Award
- Odds of earning the award
To see more on these
subjects check out
Why Do Most Sites Not Receive the STWA?
Less than 2% of the sites receive our award. Most
don't meet the goals of the STWA. We will not lower
our standards. We feel it is better to not give out an
award than to give one to a lesser site.
The goal of the STWA is to help youth join Scouting.
Therefore, we are looking for sites that make youth want to
join Scouting. Sites that are "parent pages" don't meet
our goals. Even if they are GREAT!
Many sites are link pages. They simply link to other
sites and/or copy information in from other sites.
When we consider pages we ignor link content.
Photos When taking photos, think like a
youth not a parent. If the majority of your photos are
group shots to make you "the parent" happy, they don't
count. If you were a child (the age of your scouts)
would you be excited by looking at the photos? Do the photos
make you want to join that unit and/or find a scouting
program in their area? We are looking
for photos of youth in Action, smiling, laughing,
playing, in uniform, with other scouts!
In short, does the site make the youth say:
"WOW that looks line fun! How do I join Scouting?"
Why does it take so long to get my site on the nomination list?
Remember, we are a 100% volunteer staff. With holidays,
vacations, etc. it can be hard to get someone to post
the nominations. Therefore, we get the awards up with in
30 to 90 days.
Basic Award Requirements
See indavidual Award Requirements, below.
In short ask yourself:
- Would a youth want to join my unit because of this site?
- Would a youth want to join any Scouting unit, other than yours, because of this site?
- How would a parent benafit from this site?
- How would someone, not from your unit, benafit from this site?
- How would someone, not from your country, benafit from this site?
- Other than your members, why would someone come back to your site on a regular basis?
- Only Scouting Sites will be considered.
- A site must stand up to the Values of Scouting.
- A site may not be commercial in nature.
- To apply for the Scouting The Web Award, your web site must
have a unique design, well laid out,
and pages that are useful to Scouts and Scouters
while enticing youth to join Scouting.
- Your site should be completed (No Under Construction sign).
- Your pages may not have broken links and/or image that
do not show up.
- Graphics are mostly designed by members of your unit.
- Easy to navigate, fast loading and not too many animated gifs.
- Since Scouts use many types of computers and web browsers,
system specific files can disqualify a site.
- The site should not have too many advertising banners
(two or three is OK).
- Your site must be Written in English or English translation.
- After receiving the Award, you ask that you link back to our page.
- Submission can be made by anyone for your site.
- Incorrect URL or Detail of submission will disqualify your site. If the Judges can't get to your page, they can't judge your page.
- The site may not take control of the viewer's browser.
- The site may not download anything to the viewer's system.
- The site may not change anything on the viewer's system.
- Must have a valid contact e-mail address.
- The site MUST be "G" rated!
- The site MUST have a "Scouting" motif!
- The site MUST promote the "Scouting" movement!
- The site MUST make a youth want to join "Scouting!"
See the requirements for a different level awards.
Removal of the Award
The Scouting The Web Award Comittee may remove an award
from a site that breaks any of the Scouting The Web Award rules.
Therefore, for example, if you create your web page so that only
a Windows system running IE can view it, our Windows
Judges may give you a Gold and our Mac Judges give
you a none and that would cancel each other out. In
other words that would disqualify your site for the
Our Judges use many differet type of systems:
On many different connections:
- Slow Modems
- Cable Modems
Our judges are looking for quality sites that set great
examples for other Scouting Units around the world.
For sites that would make a youth want to join either
the hosts unit, or more importantly look for a unit
in their neighborhood. Sites should offer information
that is benafitial to other Scouts and Scouters around
Judging takes place as the sites are nominated.
Judges' comments are due on the last Tuesday of
the month. Only winners will be notified.
- Enter in the information below about the Web site you would like
to nominate for the Scouting The Web Award.
- If the S.T.W.A. decides to review your site your site's URL will be
added to our Current list of
nominated sites. Most sites are added within 5 business days.
- Once a month the Current list of nominated sites is errased for
the next month's candidates.
* Information will be displayed on our Public accessable pages.
Information will be removed from public accessable pages if site does not earn
We are sorry, but VenturingBSA had to stop accepting Scouting The Web Award Nominations because of people that kept spamming the judges with porn site information.
Venturing Crew 369
Columbus, Ohio USA